Child Benefit limits raised

The Government is upping the threshold from which parents have to start paying back Child Benefit from £50,000 to £60,000.

Meanwhile, the upper threshold from which parents have to pay back all of their Child Benefit is rising from £60,000 to £80,000.

It means for those where one partner is earning between £50,000 and £60,000, you will be able to receive more Child Benefit.

Meanwhile, those earning £60,000 to £80,000 will now receive some Child Benefit whereas currently they don’t.

Laura added: “The catch is that the benefit is based on both parents’ income – meaning if either of you earns more than the thresholds you’ll lose entitlement to the benefit.

“Families also need to claim the Child Benefit, they won’t automatically receive it.”

Could you get free prescriptions?

If you are 60 or above, you can claim free prescriptions from your local pharmacy.

Prescriptions usually cost £9.65 each in England, so this can amount to some large savings over a year.

This benefit is automatic and there’s no need to apply.

If you’re 60 or over you’re also entitled to a free NHS sight test, so you should let your optician know when you reach 60 if you haven’t already. 

Eye tests can usually cost between £20 and £30.

Free memberships and activities with PIP

Those who claim PIP can often get discounts on days out and memberships.

From the cinema, theatre, galleries and even travel, several companies offer the discount.

Disability charity Scope has a useful page on some of the discounts you can get.

How do you log in to Universal Credit?

Universal Credit claimants can see their online account by logging in via the website.

You’ll need your username and password – which are the same ones you had to set up when you first applied for benefits.

If you have forgotten your login details, you can put in a request to reset your username or password by entering your email address.

If you have an online Universal Credit account, you can also sign in via verify.

In a worse case scenario, you can always try calling the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644 (Textphone: 0800 328 1344).

You can also get in contact via NGT text relay on 18001 then 0800 328 5644.

There’s a Welsh language helpline available on 0800 328 1744 too.

This post first appeared on

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

‘Just don’t be that person’ Martin Lewis says as he reveals the WORST mistake you can make when booking a holiday

MARTIN Lewis has revealed the worst mistake Brits can make when booking…

Softcat criticised after promoting chief exec Graeme Watt to chairman

Softcat said Graeme Watt would become chairman in August Softcat has been…

Cottage in the grounds of Lord Byron’s home up for grabs for £500,000

A Grade II listed cottage in the grounds of Lord Bryon’s ancestral…

I registered to buy a wreck at a property auction – here’s how I prepared to bid

Unlike a more ‘standard’ property purchase, when the gavel goes down at…